3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller

Story telling is truly at the CORE of our human experience… the stories we tell create and shape our world.

As young children, we LOVE having our parents or teachers tell us stories… When we’re watching a movie or reading a novel, it’s the power of the story that touches, moves, or inspires us.  And if you think about it, everyone and everything has a story to tell…

The universe has it’s infinite stories of creation.  Every single person has their unique life stories that make up who they are today.  Art, dance, music, and every other creative expression has a story behind it.

And as an entrepreneur, whether you are writing, speaking, or simply having a conversation with a friend or business partner, story telling is an ESSENTIAL ingredient to powerful communication.  If you look at the most successful speakers and writers that exist in our world, for the most part, they are all amazing story tellers.

It’s your stories that set you apart.  It’s your stories that captivate your audience.  And it’s your stories that convey and illustrate your message more powerfully than anything else. So as you can see, it’s incredibly important to develop the skill of story telling if you want to create a successful online business.

While attending the “Inspiring Speaker” workshop in San Francisco, I learned all about story telling from a few different master story tellers.  And there were 3 key tips that really stood out for me and have already greatly improved my story telling abilities! icon smile 3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller

So click play on the video down below and learn these 3 powerful tips to becoming a more engaging story teller…

0 3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller

So how’d you like my attempt at a British accent?  Haha icon smile 3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller

I’d LOVE to hear from you, so please leave me a comment down below and let me know if this was valuable for you!  And if you liked this post today, tweet it, FB it, and spread the word!  Thank you so much!  Looking forward to hearing your future stories icon smile 3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller

Love,

sig 3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller
  • more 3 Tips To Becoming A More Engaging Story Teller

John September 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Watched it and loved it.. Great accent..

Estelits September 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm

:D thanx for sharing! loved it!

Angela Schaefers September 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Wonderful! Your Story Matters. You Matter. http://www.yourstorymatters.net Changing the world one story at a time!

Gideon Shalwick September 26, 2011 at 4:39 am

Your best one yet Katie!

Loved the three tips!

It’s magic!

Gideon

PS: Did you get my email from a while ago?

John Robberson September 26, 2011 at 4:46 am

Katie.

Great Topic! Once again, you’ve shown us a way to create better connections and relationships with our readers. Thank You.

Marcus Ochoa September 26, 2011 at 5:07 am

Great stuff Katie, Thanks!

Michaelé Harrington September 26, 2011 at 5:18 am

I loved the creative way you shared the takeaways from the workshop. Your British accent was priceless and as an Aussie, I mean that sincerely! Just today I watched a video from a leader in a Facebook group I hang out in who shared how she broke through stuttering and social anxiety. What made her story powerful, was her ability to go back and engage her followers in the emotional experience she went through vs how she presented on camera today. E.g. You would never have guessed in a million years this person previously had a stutter.

The new timeline profiles announced by Facebook this week make it clearer than ever that their research shows just how powerful story telling is.

Michaelé

Tracy Allen September 26, 2011 at 5:18 am

Excellent info and accent, Katie! Lol :) Although I am told that I’m pretty animated, I need to remember to never stop doing it! Thank you.

clare gibbons September 26, 2011 at 5:24 am

Some great tips, I shall try and put more of a performance into my next work, thank you :)

rich Markel September 26, 2011 at 5:28 am

Story telling is the type of communication that you need to win the heart of others. You did a fine job my lady speaking with a Cockney accent. Did you know that Lady Gaga demands staff to speak with an english accent…? http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/2011/05/10/20110510lady-gaga-demands-staff-speak-english-accents.html

Luke Shavak September 26, 2011 at 5:34 am

So true Katie.

Stories are so powerful, and build that bridge between you and the prospect.
They’re also an amazing way to easily explain ideas and concepts at lightning speed.

Rocking as always!

Paola Devescovi September 26, 2011 at 5:46 am

Hi katie! Great topic! I totally agree: story telling is a key component of communication. Working on it, improving it, making it really effective can be a major success key.Thank your for sharing these great tips.

David Lane September 26, 2011 at 6:02 am

As always great information. Love the accent!

AJCiti September 26, 2011 at 6:16 am

Hey Katie, thanks for sharing these tips. I always enjoy your content, it’s been a while, glad to see you’re still doing well.

Joan September 26, 2011 at 6:18 am

Great British accent! I naturally do the things you learned, but interestingly thought I should develop a more polished and professional way of speaking. You have taught me that I can be myself and succeed. Thanks so much.

Rosanna Springer September 26, 2011 at 6:20 am

Haahhahah Katie, you are brilliant – loved it and got exactly what you telling the story about. I giggled and will definitely put your tips into action…
thanks and look forward to more from you…

Victoria September 26, 2011 at 6:23 am

Your British accent sounds Australian but good try!
Totally agree about creating a great story, it’s definiately key for getting people to pay attention to your business.

Chief September 26, 2011 at 6:28 am

Katie, Great post! Your accent made me think: Where would Julius Ceasar be without Shakespeare?

Chuck Bluestein September 26, 2011 at 6:33 am

I think that your accent is much nicer than that of a 60ish British woman. Also I think that a great story is much nicer than a not so great story no matter how well it is told. Like a great story on Youtube is that of No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!

Kathryn Kistner September 26, 2011 at 6:52 am

Thank you, Katie, this confirms my own recent insights. I was dreaming about a quilt I want to sew, and just this weekend realized that I want my quilt to BE a story. And STORIES are ALL about… and ONLY about… RELATIONSHIPS (with other persons, places, or things)… even in snapshots or “stills”.

A picture of a tree is just a tree… but a tree with a doll underneath… is a STORY (in the viewer’s imagination). Perhaps a Bonsai tree is a story unto itself because its manipulated shape IMPLIES a relationship to a person. Perhaps it creates a MYSTERY… who did that to the tree? …still pondering this.

I thought your British accent was precious!

Katherine September 26, 2011 at 6:55 am

That is great tip

Mia September 26, 2011 at 7:13 am

Great tips, Katie! Really appreciate you taking the time out of your seminar to share with us. Thought your British accent was very good, and your videos are always engaging! Thank you!

Fathi Ridwan Basalamah September 26, 2011 at 7:24 am

Hello dear Katie,
I am really really really sure, that you are a very very fortune teller dear…..oh, i am so sorry dear of my slip of tongue…..what i meant you are so wonderful to be a story teller for sure dear…And may i ask you a question dear, if i am really really so sure about my opinion that you are a really really a story teller ?…….
Hey !..is that a kind of British accent, Katie ?….:-)

herve September 26, 2011 at 7:54 am

i like what you are doing a great service i love the tips you put out thanks for showing me the way to promote yourself

Thérèse Cator | ThereseSquared.com September 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hey Katie!
Great tips!!!

Those 3 tips are absolutely powerful. Since I come from a theater background I notice that I was doing those things as second nature because I love performing. However, you articulated them in a such a clear way that we all can walk away with adding more of these “theatrics” into our speaking and really make our stories come alive!

What’s wonderful about you is that you are always learning and sharing. Love to see that. Thanks for sharing!!!

xo,
Thérèse

Philipp September 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

Wooohooo! Right when I needed it, you’re AWESOME! Thank you!

I loved when you ‘acted it out’ – haha, those few seconds were way better than any stage performance I’ve been to – and this from a marketer! Yeah!

sue nguyen September 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

Thanks for your email to introduce the new release. Great talk. Really makes sense and you did show the perfect example of what you are talking about. You speak from you heart and we love listening and watching you talk.
Keep it up Katie.

Andreea September 26, 2011 at 8:30 am

Katie, Thanks so much for sharing this! I agree that storytelling is super important in business. I just watched another video by Dan Kennedy and he said “People buy stories, not products.” So you are right on! Enjoy the rest of your workshop.

Mike September 26, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hey Katie, like always, you are the best! Excellent post, and great ideas. I intend to use them to the letter. Everyone has a story, but the thing is to learn and practice how to tell it. A good story is like a window, where you pull open the curtains and let people look inside your home.

Best regards to you Katie,

Mike

Ellen Pouw September 26, 2011 at 8:52 am

Love this video and I really thought: that I can do..story telling in that way, .and it comes even naturally to me. I think I found something that I can easily do what feels real to me. Also what I can integrate in my business and let my personality shine through. Because I think that is so important, everybody wants to shine every now and then.

Thanks Katie for the these helpful tips and as always the inspiration:-)

Ellen

Alecia September 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

Great tips, stories can convey such a deeper meaning than just telling the facts. People can visualize the picture much easier, like they say a picture has a thousand words.

Susan September 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

Katie:
Patricia is a speaker colleague, and you managed to capture her perfectly! Even the accent was passable, and I’m a transplanted Brit!
Thanks for your inspiration and sharing! Look forward to more enlightening tips!

David Sneen September 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hi Katie, fascinating post as always. Anyone doubting your conclusion regarding the influence of storytelling should check the historical accounts of the origin of any political or religious movement. People love stories.
Now I have a challenge as I create blog posts. Can I make it into a story? … And, I have three tips to use when I do!

Brian G. September 26, 2011 at 9:22 am

Ow Katie that was so very well done the accent was awesome…keep up the great work….always interesting to hear from you.

Peter Travers September 26, 2011 at 9:47 am

I thought your British accent was ‘quite’ good – but never mind I love you anyway !!

Peter T – Woking, Surrey, England UK

Choon September 26, 2011 at 10:06 am

Thank you, Katie, for sharing your three tips learned from Ms. Patricia Fripp, our Distinguished Toastmaster extraordinaire! She is indeed a master teacher in communication and has been coaching many of our World Champions of Public Speaking over the years, some of whom have teamed up with her to produce exciting personal development courses including humor, with Darren LeCroix, one of my favorites!

Kostya September 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

haha, it’s a bit funny!!)) very interesting information:)

Prem September 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

Hi Katie… Nice to see you. Hope you are doing well ! All your videos are nice because you are in there !!

Judith Anne Condon September 26, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thank you once again Katie!
My husband and I will be looking for that workshop the next time it it given.

Elizabeth Erkel September 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hey Kaite!
That was great! Made me aware of what it is about telling stories that engage people…now that I know instead of doing it blindly and on accident, I can use it purposefully and to my advantage. I even have a part of my site that it specifically devoted to story telling called Story Time! I love stories, and so I loved this piece from you! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sharon Minor September 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Hi Katie, you brought your “Inspiring Speaker” workshop to life. Thanks so much for the rich tips you shared.

Carole Bryant September 26, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’m always talking to people about choice & connection….You are delightful and always sharing great information!
Joy & Blessings!

Adrienne September 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

Great share Katie and loved the accent. Too cute…

I can’t be really dramatic when telling stories but I do enjoy sharing my own personal experiences in my blog posts. It helps for people to know that I am a real person and I struggled through a lot of this just like a lot of other people. I know there is always room for improvement so thanks for sharing that with us. Can’t wait to hear how the rest of your conference goes. Love learning these lessons from you.

Thanks and enjoy your week!

~Adrienne

Rodney M. Sykes September 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

Great info Katie :0)
Great accent as well! I can see how doing these key things will engage the person or people I’m communicating with.
Thanks again!

Genevieve September 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

It’s definitely effective, there was such a transformation, I saw a side of you I had never seen through your theatrics. reminded me of Nicole Kidman…

Emily Hopkins September 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm

LOVED this video Katie! Thank you for sharing :)

Grace@esteemedgirls September 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Wow that was engaging. I see that in my blogs when I engage people I get conversation going instead of me writing just to inform. I was teacher and one thing I learned from one of my teacher, that I used, was to even engage with the way you dress, captivate the students let them love you and they will love your message. Very powerful.

I am also mourning one of the most powerful women in the world and in my country Kenya Prof Wangari ( Enviromental Conservationist and Nobel Laurate) I wrote about her at http://esteemedgirls.com/kenya-has-lost-a-hero-a-leader-and-a-mentor-for-girls-wangari-maathai/

KEVIN September 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Katie, I will be telling jokes this weekend in a talent contest near London, I will be using your three tips to help me win.

Tisha September 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Katie! Teaching a class tonight and this video was a great tid bit!
xoxo
Tisha

Avril September 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Good stuff! Educational and entertaining – awesome combo Katie. Three reeeeally simply and easy to apply tips. THANK YOU for sharing them with us and showing us how to apply them.