Overcoming The Trap Of “Perfectionism”

Trying to be perfect, comparing yourself to others, fearing that you won’t be good enough or perfect enough… It’s a trap that most of us have been in at some point in our lives.  And it’s incredibly self-limiting and self-sabotaging.  So how do you overcome the trap of perfectionism?  Click play on the video down below to find out more…

Just imagine… What would your life be like if you were able to see the complete perfection that always exists in yourself, in others, and in every moment?  There’s an unfathomable amount of joy, love, and bliss that’s available to us when we let go of our ideas about what’s “perfect” and the battle to try and live up to them… and simply surrender to the perfection that already exists within everything! You really are whole, complete, and perfect just as you are!

To Your True Empowerment,

AD7284B544DA527F4F71B7C89166F25F Overcoming The Trap Of Perfectionism

• more Overcoming The Trap Of Perfectionism

Donnie Smith April 8, 2011 at 10:35 am

As always, great job Katie!
Donnie Smith´s last blog post ..Tommy became a registered member

Dr, Bob Clarke April 8, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi Katie…

What a killer topic! I’ve struggled with perfectionism for most of my life. As you said, there really isn’t such a thing as 100% perfect so it’s been an uphill battle.

I’ve now adopted a new philosophy — get it out there as best I can and make improvements as I go along. That’s not to say that you can throw up just anything out there, after all, every piece of marketing represents you. But no one expects you to be perfect, and you can always make improvements later.

Thanks for bringing up this great topic of discussion!
Dr, Bob Clarke´s last blog post ..How To Succeed in Network Marketing Part Time- Your Most Valuable Resource Part 1

Eddys Velasquez April 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

Yes! this is sooo true!…It is what used to make me spend hours tweaking a capture page without even uploading it to the internet because of perfectionism…it truly is one of the limiting factors that when eliminated you’ll definitely see a huge jump in success for yourself! :)

Thanks Katie!

Your friend,
Eddys Velasquez
Eddys Velasquez´s last blog post ..Episode 7 – Got a Logo and Setup a Basic Website Framework!

casey April 8, 2011 at 10:48 am

Thanks Katie. Paralysis of Analysis is based on these issues of not doing anything because of perfectionism. We are already perfect.
casey´s last blog post ..Optimize Press Facebook Comment Coding issue Resolved

Kelly April 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

I am a Soul Life Coach and share this message daily yet I fully admit that after the launch of my new website: http://www.KellyCanull.com I was a bit hard on myself because it did not feel perfect.
This video dropped into my inbox and I knew it was a reminder~~a gently reminder for me to clear the old transgenerational, collective conscious belief that there is a perfect me within the eyes of the human creation to be achieved. I gracefully inhale the Cosmic Truth of Divine Perfection that all is already perfect just as it is—-as I am One with this. So, thank you for this reminder that has activated me back in tune with Divine Truth!

Art April 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

perfect message lol
Art´s last blog post ..The Difference Between Small Thinkers and Big Thinkers

Jay Couture April 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

Great point. One of my favorite quotes on perfection is my Anna Quindlen, “The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” The beautiful thing is that we all fall victim to this and we all have the same path to follow to move from this, thanks for this topic Katie!
Jay Couture´s last blog post ..Hello world!

Greg De Tisi April 8, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for the video! It is a great reminder to not compare one’s self to others. We are all unique and should embrace that huh!:)
Greg De Tisi´s last blog post ..Brand Awareness- Getting yourself seen

Jane April 8, 2011 at 11:01 am

thanks Katie… what you say in the vid is so true

Sven April 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

I keep coming back to your Blog and right so, because you are just fab in bringing those points across.

Thanks you so much….

Regards, Sven

Jim April 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Katie I think that you are perfect, regards Jim T.

Lisa Marrone April 8, 2011 at 11:19 am

Great advice, Katie!

Also very kind of you to share something that a lot of people are not comfortable talking about.

I appreciate your posts, keep up the good work!

Hameed Hemmat April 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

Great video post Katie. Yes this illusion of perfection can cripple people. I know I struggled with this for a very long time. Then I realized our imperfections are perfect and that I need to step into my true light and just be my best self. Thanks again Katie.

Hameed
Hameed Hemmat´s last blog post ..Get An Unfair Advantage With Robert Kiyosaki!

Nick Squires April 8, 2011 at 11:41 am

You are so right katie, we strive to be perfect with ourselves and our business and then beat ourselves up when we think we are not this. Let it all go and start enjoying how perfect we are now.
Nick Squires´s last blog post ..Working From Home Office Set Up…

Julia Rohrmoser April 8, 2011 at 11:54 am

Thanks Katie, it is true, we’ve all suffered from the desire to be perfect. Thank God for computers, I remember years ago, if I made one error in typing a document, I would type the whole thing over again, trying to get it perfect.

Because of this, I started a home-base business, called, “LetterPerfect”. LOL

Art April 8, 2011 at 11:57 am

That was very inspiring indeed! As always, great content, Katie.Thank you for sharing.

Art

Rhonda April 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I love this video! This really touched home for me right now for many reasons, thanks for sharing! I have found myself lately trying to be perfect or the idea of what perfect rather than spending more time relaxing and being who I am. I do believe that there are times when we are harder on ourselves than others are. I have been doing alot of thinking on this very topic and have decided to move forward and create something for my online business that deals with my passion. I am going to work on this topic within myself because I know it is holding me back in many ways.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Rhonda Warren
Rhonda´s last blog post ..My life … has it really been a year

John Curran April 8, 2011 at 12:29 pm

This a very important topic that you touched upon the the video. Perfectionism is something we’ve alll been conditioned to believe because of our childhood and the competitive environment we live in. The reality is that these beliefs are based on something outside ourselves which is not where our real power resides. Our real power resides within ourselves as you point out in the video. The ony real meaning and power anything has is the meaning and power we give it.

When I work with individual clients,I remind them that it’s better to take some PUPOSEFULL ACTION in the direction of their goals and make corrections, than to wait until all of the conditions and circumstances are perfect in order to take action. There were times in my life when I used to become paralyzed because of perfectionism until I developed an awareness of how perfectionisn was holdong me back from getting things done. Thanks for Being YOU Katie!

Love & Light,

John

John Curran April 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Great video! I’m not sure if my last comment went through, so I’m sending it again.

Love & Light,

John

Kai April 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for the inspiring word
Kai´s last blog post ..Best Natural Constipation Remedies in Children

Tanisha April 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm

We all have this issue of fear of the unknown but once we do it one time it becomes comfortable and easy but the brick wall is hard and cold and that’s is scary as hell but we can break it down and prosper. I love you Katie
Tanisha´s last blog post ..Week 8 of the 100 Day Biz Builder Challenge

Justin | Mazzastick April 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm

This is an area that I have been improving on my whole life. Perfection doesn’t exist except in the eyes of the beholder.

I constantly challenge my limiting beliefs and move forward in spite of them.
Justin | Mazzastick´s last blog post ..Is Time An Illusion

herve April 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

katie your right we all try to put every thing in one basket some times we don’t have jump head first i thank you for what you’re doing.

Kent Seegmiller April 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Katie you “R” Sooooooo on the spot. I not sure about being Perfect Already, but I have certainly spent a life time encumbered because I couldn’t get out of my own way. Here I am in the Perfect Storm with the Perfect Business at the Perfect Time and can’t seem to get out of my Perfect Way to get started. I think my fear of failing would diminish my expectations of Perfection.
Someone once said “Done is better than Perfect” I think you put it much better.

Thank You For Opening My Eyes!

Dan April 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Perfectionism is the great disease that pianists suffer. I get rejected all the time.

Anyone who doesn’t know piano music like professional pianists fall head over heels whereas piano pros see me as a beginner and a total failure.

I’ve had this perfectionism attitude for a while. I got it from my teachers during my college years. These guys are fully focused on perfectionism now that I’ve watched the video.

Alison April 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Hi Katie thanks for this. I’m planning my first EVER seminar, and of course trying to make it perfect, filling my mind with ‘what ifs’…like what if they don’t come, what if they don’t like it, what if I’m a terrible presenter ……

You’ve reminded me that I just need to be me, and all will be well. Or, perfect!

Manuel Crescini April 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

It’s almost a year now since I started to start my own business to use networking. I decided to produce my own product line that is unique because it has the largest niche market that I ever have known. I did my business plan in a matter of two weeks but since then I was not able to lunch it because I keep on making my business plan perfect month by month and it seems I can’t do it. When ever I talk about it with my friends, what I heard is it is a superb idea but it is easier said than done. Well, I watch your video and I discover what is lacking on my business plan and me. Simple it is SELF CONFIDENCE. I would not thank you katie but I will tell I love you for doing a great job.

Pete Sapper April 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I used the drug known as “perfectionism” for years to fuel my addiction to “procrastination”.

It became a great excuse to stay stuck and avoid success and the added responsibility of getting out of my comfort zone.

Like Kate said, awareness is the key. Until you know WHY you do WHAT you do, you will remain stuck doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Linda-Clare April 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Hi Katie, great video…… You nailed it. Thanks

JAMES WITTER April 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

thanks so much katie for sharing that much needed topic & video. i needed to here that right this minute in my life…i am struggling right now with some of these same issues and it has helped me to realize that i can do it and that i am valuable the way i am. i just need to be just me and not try to be like someone else….THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING
JIM

Ricky Lien April 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Spot on! Thanks for your perfection in your description of perfectionism. We feel it, but feel shamed or ashamed to bring up the topic. We often crucify ourselves if we’re not perfect and we judge and criticise others if they’re not perfect. And of course, the message is that we’re ALREADY perfect! Keep up the great videos and your philosophy!

Marnee Masales April 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I enjoy reading your blog and listening to your videos. At one time I did try to be perfect, but I realized that I had to be me. Everyone is different. People take me for who I am. Do your best. That is what counts and be yourself is so important.
Marnee Masales´s last blog post ..Marnee-Masales- RT @katiefreiling Overcoming The Trap Of “Perfectionism” http-bitly-dPyiKj

Henway April 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I appreciate the sincerity in this message, but I think it’s harder than it sounds to accept everything about you, without the need to approve. It’d be incredibly easy if we lived in the cave all by ourselves, but that’s not the reality. We’re surrounded by our friends, family, media, society, bosses, investors, wives, husbands, etc, and 99% of our actions are scrutinized and effect our lives. If we can’t look good, we can’t attract a mate.
Henway´s last blog post ..Dukan Diet Tips

Jack Dean April 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Very well stated and right on target Katie! I am one of those people that you were talking about. I never realized how being a perfectionist want to be was hindering my ability to move forward with some of the things I know I will have to do to get to the level of achievement that I desire.

It took me two attempts to come in hear and write anything at all for the simple reason that I thought what I had to say wouldn’t be good enough or of any value to anyone here.

Thank you for being the leader that you are and for sharing knowledge that is useful. I took your message to heart and am committed to changing my mindset on perfectionism.

Ron Rodriguez April 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Katie. Great video and excellent message. Always enjoy reading your blogs and videos.

Fathi Ridwan Basalamah April 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Well, it is, Katie..but you are almost perfect as usual..:-)

Melody Granger April 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm

That was the most beautiful explanation of perfectionism that I’ve ever heard! Thanks Katie.

Melody
Melody Granger´s last blog post ..Should I do A Clean Sweep on My Kids Room

Brian and Felicia White April 8, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Very powerful message Katie! Definitely think that every human being on the planet can relate to that battle with perfectionism and ourselves. Awareness,acceptance, action, gratitude and compassion for ourselves…very helpful. Thanks so much for sharing! You’re awesome!
Brian and Felicia White´s last blog post ..An Offline Nugget to Help Grow Your Business!

Drew Alexander@Increase Internet Traffic April 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Hello Katie.

Thank you for sending me the video. And you are right sometimes you can get help up by trying to be to perfect.

Many thanks best wishes.

Drew.

Marissa April 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reminder Katie!

While we shouldn’t necessarily strive for that unrealistic perfection that Katie talks about, that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t continue to grow and improve ourselves and the value we offer to others. Don’t use this great message as an excuse to slack off! ;)

Farmershil April 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

Thank you again so your inspiration. I have been very hesitant to make my first video mostly because of the perfection factor. You once again have given me the encouragement I need to get it done.
Farmershil´s last blog post ..Brave or Not Brave- that is the Question

Maurits April 10, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for the lesson. Develop and be better, without perfectionism.

Dominic April 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hi Katie, it is nice and warm to hear from you again. You are such a wo nderfull person just like a Guardian Angel.I would like to share with you a guide on Perfectionst Quotient.
1.Are you ashamed or reluctant to talk to others about mistakes you’ve made?
2.Does losing a game,any kind of game,make you angry?With the winner?With yourself?
3.Do you discount the validity of criticism others give to you?
4.do you feel helpless when you don’t accomplish all you have set out to do in a day?
5.Do you believe others will think less of you if you pronounce a word wrong or spill a drink on yourself,on the floor or on someone else?
6.Do you do crossword puzzles with a pen?
7.Does making an error or saying something stupid keep you wake all night?
8.Do you jog or play tennis for reasons other then personal enjoyment?
9.Are you always trying to win,always trying to beat someone even if it is only yourself?
10.Is the tought of being average frightening to you?

You know you’re a perfectionist if you answer yes to more than three of these questions.

Thanks! Dominic

Damayanthi April 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Katie for this great post as always.

I got to agree with you almost all of us suffer from this. Now I have learn to catch myself when I do try to be perfect or compare myself with others.

This video is a great reminder for me, as I still do this from time to time.

Damayanthi´s last blog post ..What Is a 90day Plan

Michael T. Makahamadze April 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm

What a wonderful topic to cover, and I love the way you presented it.

We all are human; we strive for our image of “perfection”. Perfection however, comes when we DO. We don’t have to worry about being perfect, but about taking action. That’s how we evolve and move forward, effortlessly, with less struggle and limitations. As Émile Coué put it….”Everyday, in everyway, I am getting better and better”. Keeping this in mind helps move us forward, without worry about perfection. This way, we accept who we are, where we are, and take steps forward from there.

Thanks for sharing the great video Katie.

Take care and have a great day.

Michael T. Makahamadze
Michael T. Makahamadze´s last blog post ..Twitter Marketing For MLM Success Building Your Home Business 140 Characters At A Time

Renee J. Mack April 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Sweet Katie,
What a delight!! You, of course, have summed up the “perfection” issue very well, as always. I, being a tad couple of years young than you (62yrs. young lol), have dealt with this for a long time needless to say. In a nutshell, it’s about self-acceptance and not taking ourselves too seriously. We do need to be self-aware about what we are thinking to stop ourselves going down the wrong path. Being a Christian, I depend on Jesus who sent back the Holy Spirit to dwell inside of us. Now our flesh likes to rise up, along with those little demonic critters who love to sabotage us at every turn. So, it’s our job to take our spiritual authority in Jesus Christ over our thoughts (the mind is the devil’s workshop). Easier said than done. But, once we rebuke the “enemy”, who is a demon placing unGodly thoughts in our minds, and cast him out in Jesus Name and send them with Jesus, we have our peace. Now, mind you, it is a spiritual battle always. Those demons will keep trying. Example, the other day the battle went on for one hour before there was Victory. Why? Well, my husband and I have been immersed in The Word of God (The Bible). Those demons (and Satan himself) don’t like it. Well, anyway, this is how I and my hubby (Woody) handle these unwanted thoughts.
Hope this has been helpful. And, oh yes, if anyone wants Jesus in their hearts and life as their personal Lord and Savior, all they have to do is ask Him to come into their hearts. That’s it. But this is only the beginning of a glorious, wonderful walk with Him. Will there be trials, testings, persecution? Yes, of course. The Christian walk is about having a relationship with Jesus and becoming more and more like Jesus Himself while we are on this earth. Every trial, situation, crisis, etc. molds us into being more Christ-like. Along with this is prosperity. Prosperous spiritually and materially. Hallelujah!

Ryan Yokome April 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Hey Katie, awesome stuff as always!! Man, I am SUCH a perfectionist. It’s Redonkulous.

Thanks for sharing how everything is perfect and I SO needed to hear this. Perfect timing with my online campaigns.

Terry Ellison April 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Just be yourself is exactly right. Perfectionism has at times made me better and other times led to procrastination. It’s great to want people to accept & support you, which is mainly why people chase perfectionism. But what I’ve found is that the people that matter will accept you regardless, so stop wasting more time than is needed on your area of passion and just get after it.

Thanks Katie, great topic.

Terry
Terry Ellison´s last blog post ..Disaster Can Reveal a Nation’s True Colors – What We Can Learn From Japanese Pride!

Jon April 12, 2011 at 4:00 am

OMGosh you are such a doppelganger of Amy Adams – I just found out what that word meant and had to use it!

Great video – I’m going to try – no wait… there is no “try”… “I WILL” put that good advice into practice.

Harold Frink April 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

great job Katie. I often struggle with this issue, so much so that it often prevents me from starting somethig that I need to start. Why do we try to see the final outcome before the game has started?