Are You Hiding Behind a “Mask”? The Truth About Authenticity…

Let me ask you… What “masks” do you put on and hide behind in your life?

Are you afraid to speak your truth when you know it might be upsetting to someone else?  Do you pretend to be confident when deep inside you feel insecure and unsure of yourself?  Do you speak and act differently around certain people to gain their approval and acceptance?

When we are wearing a “mask”, whether we’re conscious of it or not, we feel isolated, fearful, and out of integrity because we are not allowing our true self to come out.  We are hiding… And not only does this keep us from experiencing fulfillment in relationships or creating the success we’re looking for in life… But we end up living in a state of internal struggle and pain. We can’t possibly be truly authentic because we are molding ourselves to be the “person” that others will love, accept, and approve of.

I was inspired to make this video today because Halloween is coming up soon… But it’s an extremely powerful message that is applicable and appropriate any time of the year!  So click play on the video below to  hear more about how the many masks we wear can destroy our sense of authentic confidence and how to put the mask down and let the REAL you come out to play!

When we look to others to give us love and approval, we have lost awareness of our own self love and self acceptance.  Wearing a mask, or presenting a “contrived version” of yourself to gain approval from others keeps us in a state of internal struggle… And even when we “get” the approval we think we’re looking for, it’s never enough… Because only through true self acceptance and love can we come into full awareness of our own worth, beauty, and power.

So are there any masks you’ve worn in the past that you’d like to share with us here today? Or any new realizations of masks you didn’t even know you were wearing?  And even if you just want to share your Halloween mask (or costume) this year with us, I’d love to hear from you!  So leave a comment below and please make sure you help spread this message today by sharing it on Facebook and/or Twitter.

Have an amazing Halloween!  And remember… How can you be the REAL you even underneath your costume or mask this year?  Because the real you is perfect, complete, and beautiful just as you are!

icon wink Are You Hiding Behind a Mask?  The Truth About Authenticity...

To The “Authentic You”,

AD7284B544DA527F4F71B7C89166F25F Are You Hiding Behind a Mask?  The Truth About Authenticity...

• more Are You Hiding Behind a Mask?  The Truth About Authenticity...

Chris Bernardo October 29, 2010 at 8:07 am

It is very easy to hide under a mask online, I choose to let my true self come out and it has truly helped my business by just being me and proud of it and having like minded individuals see it as well. For Halloween, i am wearing a Mask (Masquerade Ball Costume) and a Red Cape.. Enjoy your Halloween
Chris Bernardo´s last blog post ..How I get over 10-000 Visitors for FREE

Mark October 29, 2010 at 8:14 am

Nice touch, Katie. Once you’ll drop that mask you’ll find some will consider you an outsider, some will want to hang with that “outsider”, non-ingroup-person and admire him. The second way is the way to go. When the last curtain falls, you don’t want to have been part of the first.
Mark´s last blog post ..The Competiton of a life-time 50K in bonuses up for grabs PLEASE RETWEET

Amanda October 29, 2010 at 8:20 am

Whooop whoop! Love the message Katie! It’s so important to be authentic in all we do.

Marie Forleo has really helped me see how authenticity can only lead to creative opportunities and growth.

I appreciate your wisdom girl! :)
Amanda´s last blog post ..Are You Setting Yourself Up For Success- Or Spinning Your Wheels In The Mud

CJ October 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

Great vid.. I don’t know how you make money but it doesn’t hurt that you are smart, creative and pretty… God bless you as you and keep on making awesome videos! Love ‘em.

CJ
CJ´s last blog post ..New GBG Video Is Packed With Real People Giving Their Testimonials

Eileen Stanton October 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

Dear Katie,

I feel so much kinship with you. I, too, was a very shy child and feel like I missed out on so much in my earlier life so this makes your message even more meaningful to me than it may to others who have not had that problem to contend with.

You give me the courage to surge forth and blossom.

Thank you for this inspiring challenge.

Doug October 29, 2010 at 8:43 am

This video hit home. I used to be the person who was always trying to be everyone’s friend. That isn’t possible if you are being the real you. Now I live by the following ‘Dougism’… You wouldn’t worry what other people thought of you if you knew how seldom they did.

Cory Crabb October 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

Great content here, Thank you Katie! This is very true and does effect the business if we don’t recognize this and give the authentic YOU in your everyday activities.

Our Masterminds Group
Cory Crabb

David October 29, 2010 at 8:56 am

So true Katie!we are all a work in progress as we discover for ourselves who we are, awareness is the begining of our journey
into our true self.
Thanks for sharing your incites, have a great weekend.
Always….David

Buddy Hodges October 29, 2010 at 9:00 am

Wow, Katie! Your beautiful authentic self really shined through on this video. I agree whole-heartedly that we will be happier and more effective if we allow ourselves to be real and spontaneous. One example in my life comes from experience as a public speaker. Besides Network Marketing trainings, I give speeches at Toastmasters meetings. Here is the point. The less I try to prepare, the more the audience likes the speech. When I speak extemporaneously from the heart, I usually win the blue ribbon!

Ryan Biddulph October 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

A super timely video here.

Wearing masks might be the chief causes of suffering. It causes the majority to live other people’s lives, doing things to make others happy before themselves. The beauty of taking off your mask is attracting like-minded people who are drawn to the true you.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful insight :)

Ryan
Ryan Biddulph´s last blog post ..How to Deal with the Misery of Growth

Edwin Deloso October 29, 2010 at 9:09 am

Very nice and very inspiring video. Your so beautiful ms. katie.

I love it.
Edwin Deloso´s last blog post ..Business opportunity scams are on the rise

Julie October 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

Katie – Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this video. It especially struck me when you talked about “contrivance” in creating a persona to relate to others — thinking of it that way, who — other than the Oscar Wildes among us — would really want to go there? Here’s to authenticity.

Derrick Strode October 29, 2010 at 9:18 am

I like you. We’ll work together in the future, Lord willing. I understand and agree with the mask mentality you speak of. I’m speaking Sunday on Costume Christians so we’re definitely like-minded to an extent. Keep quality content coming!
Derrick Strode´s last blog post ..Media Traffic Meltdown Review

Karen Bartley October 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

Awesome message today Katie. Thanks for being so open and reminding us we are great just the way we are and to be ourselves in every aspect of our lives.

Have a blessed day and an awesome weekend!
Karen

Paul October 29, 2010 at 9:20 am

The Mask idea is true.

“Personalities do not like they want something.”
~ Osho

Move Well In A Deeper Sense,

Paul

Nealon Hightower October 29, 2010 at 9:34 am

Great post and reminder to always speak our truth. You’ve inspired me lately to do my own video posts on my blog. Keep up the great work.
I have a blog about releasing weight if anyone has any good video blog topics. http://www.sixsimpletruths.com
P.s. Do you have a vid blog about how you do your video bloggin?

Nealon Hightower October 29, 2010 at 9:34 am

I have a blog about releasing weight if anyone has any good video blog topics.
P.s. Do you have a vid blog about how you do your video bloggin?

Ricky Lien October 29, 2010 at 9:39 am

Great point Katie! On the one hand, we need to be our authentic, true self – the very core of our being. However, on the other hand, wearing a mask in the appropriate context may also be useful to avoid being hurt as you don’t want to reveal your real feelings to people that you don’t well enough or don’t quite trust. Sometimes life is like a poker game.
Keep up your awesome work, you are a natural in front of the camera and you seem to have wisdom well beyond your youth!

Val Wilcox October 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

Powerful thoughts here today. Living behind a mask holds you back so much in life. Stepping past that frees you to be the awesome person you really are. Your past sounds so familiar. It’s liberating to come into your Internal Power and share with the world.

Here’s to stepping our from behind the facade and creating an open, honest reality!
Val ;)
Val Wilcox´s last blog post ..QTIP

Ellen October 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

Thanks again. Great topic.

Also it it very important to stay with your own feeling, when you sense that some people pull up the facade.

In Holland we don’t have Halloween, instead we have Carnaval in February…:-).

Wish you a good weekend and have fun with Halloween.

Ellen Pouw

yadira monroy October 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

Thank you Katie for sharing us that video, because is very important to be autentic, and also I agree with you because is the way to attract the correct people to us.

Have a great day

Aimee October 29, 2010 at 10:50 am

I appreciate your wisdom. I think that I have for the most part been my true self with people, however, there are times when I feel “unsafe” around certain individuals, like I can’t really be me, and the truth is, that is when I start to second-guess myself. I guess it just goes to show that I have to get over what other people think of me, and be okay with opposition. Because the truth is, I know I am perfect just the way I am, and I am improving myself as much as I can all the time, and even when I think I’ve “made” it as a person, there can always be people who will not lift you up as a person simply because they don’t really like themselves yet or something. But I think speaking the truth is always important.

Ms. Harmony October 29, 2010 at 10:50 am

Hey I just wanted to show some Love to you!
I think you are a wonderfully smart and caring girl and really enjoy this and all inspirational video’s you are constantly recording. I am quite new to this internet world and I am proud to have you as a mentor. I am also quite interested in the GeneWize thing, and want to know more about how you personaly are doing with it. I myself am working with a few of the Top companies with Elite Products and am always on the Look out for more to add to my mix! Hope all is well in Cali, Winter is coming to Texas real soon as well~

Thank you for your Time & Consideration,

Monica Jenkins
Founder
Harmonious Moment
Peace, Love, Ms. Harmony
Representative of Epic Moment~

Dr. Bob Clarke October 29, 2010 at 11:31 am

This video was spot on! So many people go through life wearing a mask and never revealing their true self to the world. It’s a shame because all of us — every single person — has something unique to offer the world.

All it takes is the courage to show it, as you pointed out.

Thanks for sharing

PS Love the hat! It’s a keeper.
Dr. Bob Clarke´s last blog post ..Promote Yourself and Share What You Do

Oliver Tausend October 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

great mindset video. Good that you stress the importance of awareness. Being aware of the fact that we might wear a mask in a certain situation is already a huge step, and it’s the first step to change that.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

In Germany, Halloween is a rather recent “invention”. It has been around here for ten years or so and kids love it definitely. I wouldn’t be authentic if I wore a Halloween costume ;-)

Anyway, happy Halloween !

Take care

Oliver
Oliver Tausend´s last blog post ..Outsourcing For Network Marketers – A Foundation

Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach October 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

Interesting topic! I pride myself on the fact I’m pretty WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) – I have no need to ‘fake it ’till I make it’ etc.

But one mask I always use in real life – if I get hurt, I never show it to those people who inflicted the pain. They are not deserving of that authentic emotion.
Barbara Ling, Virtual Coach´s last blog post ..The Top 7 Dramatically Appropriate Halloween Costumes For Bloggers and Solopreneurs

Dale October 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Boo!

The comment that I’m about to offer may sound strange enough to warrant speculation that perhaps last Halloween I tripped on the cape of my Dracula costume, fell down, suffered a concussion and this comment is the result, or perhaps not.

“THERE ARE NO OTHER PEOPLE, THERE IS ONLY SELF!”

I’m tempted to just leave it at that and invite you to ponder this reality perspective as you will, but maybe some explanation would be fun.

The ego, which is a self-judging, fear-based sense of self, is in fact a process of mind that creates a duality out of our world or life experience which is in fact a unity or unified experience.

But that said, I am compelled to immediately jump to the defense of the ego which seems to be everybody’s whipping boy of choice, especially in the spiritual growth movement.

We are in error to “blame it on the ego” because just like every other hardwired primate brain process, the ego evolved as a survival adaptation to social living.

We homo sapiens are highly social creatures and therefore to survive and reproduce a viable next generation (all that Mother Nature requires for species continuance) our human primate brain evolved the power- and approval-seeking ego self because within our social living situation power and approval
are advantageous to surviving and mate finding.

Here’s an analogy: suppose for some crazy reason it were
advantageous for us to see the world only in black or
white because this ability somehow contributed to enhanced survival and reproductivity within our social milieu.

Bingo! Via the wonders of natural selection as the generations roll on, color blindness will necessarily be selected for and the frequency of color acuity will fade. So finally black and white only vision will become the norm.

But does that mean that the world is actually black or white only?

Of course not, it simply means that we’re perceiving the world through an “evolved lens” that portrays the world as black and white only. And thus it is with the “ego lens” adaption that
divides the essential unity of our life experience into the duality of “self” versus “other.”

Man, this is a juicy subject, but to my point,

“THERE ARE NO OTHER PEOPLE, THERE IS ONLY SELF!”

So even putting aside the enlightenment perspective that “All is one,” just mundanely it’s clear that how we perceive “other people” is completely a function of our own personal mindset,which is to say there are no other people separate from ourselves, which is to say there are no other people, there is only self! QED :)

They say, for example, that how a piece of bread looks to us depends upon how hungry we are. If we’re starving it might look like manna from heaven, but if we just ate a big Thanksgiving meal we might find it nauseating. Same piece of bread, but completely different reactions/realities.

So let me end with a game that I like play to loosen the grip of ego-fear when I’m not too gripped by ego-fear to remember to play.

When you interact with other people simply see them as an aspect of yourself. So, say, when you’re having a conversation with someone, just pretend that you’re having a conversation with yourself dressed up to look like someone else.

It’s really a hoot because you never know what you’re going to say next!

So this is my evolutionary primate psychology take on
“love thy neighbor as thyself” because they are.

I’m dressing up as Hermes. Catch me if you can!

Happy Halloween!

Dale

Nick Klopper October 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Great message as usual Katie… I really like the analogy of wearing a ‘mask’ when we aren’t being ourselves. I think that what you’re talking about has everything to do with our level of self-esteem. One of the things that people of high self-esteem have is that they aren’t afraid to be themselves and live with authenticity.
Nick Klopper´s last blog post ..Increase Your Value by Spreeding!

Ryan K October 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hey Katie, I never have been much of a Halloween guy. I usually feel best as myself, but have challenges at times knowing if what is coming out is my true self or something my surroundings is asking me to be???

I have always been somewhat of a social butterfly and have jumped from click to click, enjoying each for what they bring, but I know that your personality can change while spending time with each group. Is this a changing of masks, or is it just a different expression of who you are – a melting pot of many different faces…?

Tracy Matthewman October 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Awesome Katie. I’m trying to be the authentic me …it’s like habit that’s hard to break sometimes. Thank you again for all you do! Tracy

PS. looking forward to next week :)
Tracy Matthewman´s last blog post ..A Rarely Used Marketing Strategy For Local Businesses

Emily Giuffre October 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Katie :) You are beautiful the way you are! Maybe this isn’t exactly like a mask but for most of my life I’ve been around two groups of people, extremely conservative or extremely liberal, one group thinking I was a wild child and the other that said I needed to loosen up :) Very contradictory but I thought both were right until one day I realized, I’m not either. I’m a healthy balance which allows me to connect with more people on a deeper level. :)

Michele October 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Awesome message. I really appreciate this. I really feel this applies to a romantic situation I have been entangled in for quite a while.
I often wore a mask and tried to be what I thought this person wanted me to be. It felt almost like censoring myself and it caused a lot of pent up agression that I never was able to express. In the end it was all so I could feel loved and desired, but I was never able to be fulfilled by the relationship.
After some contemplation I realized this person was just proving to me what I already thought about myself. “I am not good enough”
It is now my main objective to get to know the authentic me and express myself freely.
Thanks for inspiring katie.

Dan October 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Interesting Post. I don’t believe it is that easy for the vast majority to allow their true selves to shine through.

I believe once we move beyond our own fears and discover that we have no limitations then we allow our TRUE self to shine through. Until a person can do that I believe they will always where a mask of some sort.

I am reminded of a saying I have heard a hundred times in the Marketing Business… “Fake It til you Make It!”
It drove me nuts to hear that because my thought was much like what you described, People are not being authentic. As a matter-of-fact all we have to do is check our email inbox to see how many people are not being authentic today.

Until we move beyond our fears there is no freedom and no authenticity. Dropping the mask can become an impossible task as long as we allow fear and doubt to run our personality.

DanB
Dan´s last blog post ..Whew! What a Great Weekend

Amy Hagerup October 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Hi Katie, I really think it is important to be our true selves and not try to be someone else or to hide or to try to be people pleasers. Thanks for continuing to inspire us. Blessings, Amy
Amy Hagerup´s last blog post ..9 Strategies to Reduce High Blood Pressure

Bryan Clark October 29, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Excellent Post Katie. We often find ourselves living “double lives” like secret agents, because of fear of rejection from others, but in actuality, we should be true to ourselves for a few reasons:

1. As you so eloquently out it, we limit our own possibilities when we are so worried about pleasing others, and worrying about their reactions

2. Because when you are not living “truthfully”, you are in essence living a lie. So that means that if people that you meet, new friends or business partners, are only familiar with your “representative”, they never really knew you at all.

3. As the saying goes…”real recognizes real”, so if you are living “fake”, and real person will not only sense it, but they will also call you out on it.

We all must take strides in our personal growth, so that we may “unveil” the masks that we were everyday, and let ou true selves shine through.
Bryan Clark´s last blog post ..7 Steps to an Awesome Fan Page

Jennifer May October 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm

As always Katie… you ROCKED it! Loved this video and definitely good timing as I have really been reflecting on how much I have grown in this essence. I too grew up very shy, so I had a similar experience as you…

I always worried about what others thought, how they felt and molded myself to their liking. The second I allowed myself to become free of these “masks”.. I found true peace. The freedom that comes along with allowing yourself to just be you, is absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the beautiful video post… always inspiring! Have a Happy Halloween girl! :)
Jennifer May´s last blog post ..Finding Peace Within Yourself Even When The Path Is Dark And Your Heart Is Hurting

Kantrese Smith October 29, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Hey Katie– Get Excited & Stay Excited!!

You really hit the nail on the head with this one. I agree that if we don’t know how to be ourselves— to be true to ourselves, we will struggle. People can sense “fakeness.” We have to always be genuine and authentic. We cannot let fear hold us captive. I know I’m not afraid of being who I am. Some people think that my high energy is too way over the top for them, lol. But I have to be me– and I just say GET EXCITED & STAY EXCITED!! I had to learn the hard way about worrying about what others will think. What matters most is what I think of me. I had to fall in love with “Tresie” with Me and appreciate what I have to offer others, what value I bring to those I come in contact with. This was an AMAZING video Katie!! Thanks sooo much—This was in perfect timing for Halloween.

Blessings, Love & Light…
Kantrese “Tresie”
Kantrese Smith´s last blog post ..Importance of NOT “Throwing Up” on Your Prospects

Wayne Harvey October 30, 2010 at 5:51 am

You are so right on!!! Thanks for sharing and reminding me that this is the true and only way to live your life. You’re a true inspiration to many. I love your wisdom and like you said authenticity!!! You motivate me to simply do the right thing and be the right person in life.

Very Appreciatively,

paola devescovi October 30, 2010 at 6:22 am

Great post Katie! I must say I’ve been working on myself for many years now and, although in the past I tended to try and please people and be the “good girl” everyone (especially my parents) expected me to be, I try to always be me now. Sometimes it’s not easy, especially when you think you may loose something very important to you. But as you said, being yourself makes you feel so free and so well!

And happy halloween!

Paola
paola devescovi´s last blog post ..5 Tips To Create A Launch From The Heart

Linda G. Cox October 30, 2010 at 9:17 am

Katie~
I appreciate what you’re saying! This is the message I tell my children, especially through their middle school years. I try to teach them while they are young, even though it took me until my 20′s before I started to learn this skill! Life is so much better when we are our real self!
Linda
Linda G. Cox´s last blog post ..Become a Copywriting King with Copybloggercom

Tom Carter aka Firemantom October 30, 2010 at 10:04 am

Your content has so much information and value. You are truly amazing I applaud you for all you have accomplished in your life. You are an inspiration to everyone young and old! It’s a good life!
Tom

Elena J Forbes October 30, 2010 at 10:31 am

Perfect post Katie! So many people have that internal stuggle and lose a sense of who they really are and they never really get to know themselves! The majority of people tend to lead segmented lives, in relationships, work, and business. Why not just be you and be the BEST YOU…? Thank you for sharing!

Elena
Elena J Forbes´s last blog post ..Comment on Day 1- Things You Must Know by Day 1- Things You Must Know Online REL

Giovanna October 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

I been thinking a lot about this subject the last week or so… It was fun to see the video ´cause I love this sincronicities and all.

Buddy Hodges October 30, 2010 at 11:27 am

Honestly, balancing synergy with independence is a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately. I am trying to learn to be a loyal follower of the Tribe while also being a creative entrepreneur. I intend to contribute and participate actively in the Unified Tribe. Katie’s question about Halloween made me think about being The Lone Ranger. Not wanting to wear a mask, I will be Indiana Jones. See Halloween photo on my blog.
Buddy Hodges´s last blog post ..Alliance- Tribe- and Syndication

Alison October 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Certainly food for thought. We don’t do Halloween on such a big scale in Australia, but it sure doesn’t stop people wearing masks! :) I moved school several times when I was a kid, and oh, did that mask come in handy. Consequently I have learnt to fit in everywhere I go….but learning to present ME is proving somewhat challenging. Saying ME or MINE sometimes rather than ‘oh that’s OK…’ every time is, well, fun! And nobody minded :)Love your videos, and your take on life.

James Fulton October 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm

A beautiful truth that everyone needs to live by….Thanks

Audrey October 30, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Great post and video, Katie! What a perfect time of year to bring this out in the open. I have to say in my situation I was able to really take off the mask after getting out of a very bad relationship. I had my identity wrapped up in a man who didn’t love me. Six years later I am much better off. Grace Adams over at Looks Great Naked has some wonderful thoughts to share on this as well. She believes in learning to be yourself, that who you are is gorgeous. Trying to be something you’re not isn’t.

CHRISTOPHER FIELDS October 30, 2010 at 7:03 pm

HEY KATIE,
AWESOME JOB AGAIN KATIE… YOUR CONTENT IS ALLLLLWAYS INSPIRATIONAL ! THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT. . I’D LIKE TO WISH YOU & EVERYONE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY WEEKEND. REMEMBER WHILE YOUR ENJOYING YOUR MASKS & COSTUMES :) BE YOURSELF.. EVERYONE ELSE.. IS TAKEN ! BE THE REAL YOU !! THANKS AGAIN KATIE FOR YOUR WISDOM.. KEEP UP THE FIRST-CLASS WORK YOU BRING THE WORLD !

anne marie October 30, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Thank you Katie, for sharing your personal story through this message, it resonates with me and is my ‘program’ as well.
It was wonderful to hear this coming from, keeps me inspired to stay authentic because there is freedom on the other side….

anne marie

Tina October 30, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Bravo Katie,
I was just like you and it took so long to find the real me… and it is always a work in process. Pleasing others is exhausting.
Thank you for the reminder to remove the masks we sometimes put on still.
Love your work!