How To Get The Same Amount of ‘Work’ Done In Half The Time…

Yes… I’m going to give you a simple practice that will help you achieve faster results in your business, no matter what projects you’re currently working on… And no, I’m not going to tell you to work harder or faster. There’s a simple law that when practiced, can actually help you get the same amount of work done in much less time. It’s something I’ve been applying in my business for quite some time now… And today, I’d like to share it with you!

So… what do you think? I always love hearing from you! Have you heard of this before? Are you ready to put it into practice in your own business? Let me know! And don’t forget to spread the word by re-tweeting this to your Twitter friends down below…

icon wink How To Get The Same Amount of Work Done In Half The Time...

Thanks a bunch!

To Your Productivity and Success,

AD7284B544DA527F4F71B7C89166F25F How To Get The Same Amount of Work Done In Half The Time...

• more How To Get The Same Amount of Work Done In Half The Time...

Tom Renfro May 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

The first time I learned of Parkinson’s Law was reading a book by Tim Ferriss… “The 4-hour work week”, a great book BTW…

He talked about applying it along with the 80/20 principle…so you could maximize your results and minimize your time to get those results…

But its been awhile since I’d read Tim’s book and I’d completely forgotten about Parkinson’s law, so I want to thank you for the reminder….because as I get ready to launch my new business…I need to apply this law..now…

And speaking of the 80/20 principle, I also wanted to thank you for something you said during the first webinar you hosted a week ago…

We all know that the general understanding of the 80/20 rule is that, 8o% of our results come from 20% of our actions…but during the webinar you said that we need to spend 80% of our time in action and 20% of our time learning…

Well… that made me think…actually, it caused me to review my own processes…and I realized that I was spending far to much time “getting ready”…

Not any more…and again Thanks for that….

I’ll be looking forward to more of your insights and tips..

Vicky White May 12, 2010 at 8:15 am

Yes, I know if I have all day to write my newsletter it will take all day – if I have a couple of hours that’s how long it will take. This is why women with kids get so much more done than I do sometimes – I have all day every day available for my business.

And when I’ve had something else going on in my life and can only work part time – my business does a lot better!

Thanks for the reminder – I’ve forgotten to use this lately!

Michael in the UK May 12, 2010 at 8:19 am

Never heard of that particular one before.
Speaking personally, i like to take a loooooooong time to do things…now i understand a bit better, why i get so few of my tasks completed! I do a lot more thinking and planning than i do anything else. Timeframes and deadlines could be very motivational for me. I will work on that idea Katie, THANKS…

Lynn May 12, 2010 at 8:28 am

I often marveled at the fact that I would stress and stress over getting a project done, but in the end, it would always get done. Usually *right* before it was due.
You’ve given me a new perspective through which to view this *phenomenon*! Now I’m beginning to see that I’m creating all this stress in my own life by not setting my own deadlines for my projects.
I’m going to try this new approach today and see how it works.
Thanks!
LYNN
.-= Lynn´s last blog ..Exporting HD video for Vimeo =-.

Chanel May 12, 2010 at 8:33 am

Thanks, great information. It is my fist time hearing about Parkinsons Law. I am willing to give it try in my business as well as other areas in my life.

Thank again for the great video!

Mark Greer May 12, 2010 at 8:37 am

Katie, thank you so much for this. I think I’m going to download a digital stop watch to ensure that I stick to the time frame. I have heard of this law, however, I haven’t heard it explained this that manner. Thanks again, I’ll close with a quote that kinda falls in the subject matter…

“If you want something done, then give it to a busy person. The more things you do, the more you can do. ” – Lucille Ball
.-= Mark Greer´s last blog ..The Creepiest IRS Commercial I’ve Ever Seen =-.

Dennis Funk May 12, 2010 at 8:41 am

Did here of this once before, but it didn’t sink in or I didn’t grasp it. You made it very easy to understand and I am looking forward to applying it.

Actually, through your ability to explain things I am able to grasp concepts much quicker than with other people who have explained the same concepts to me before. This was the main reason I joined the Unified Tribe. Your method of teaching is in a way I grasp things rapidly and can go and implement them. Sooo many others I had difficulty doing the implementation from the instructions.

Love your teaching!

Kathi Erber May 12, 2010 at 8:42 am

Hi Katie, You’re dead on! Thanks for the tip. I used to be in time management and learned of another theory that marries quite well with this one. It’s called Pareto’s Law, also known as the 80/20 rule. One adaptation is that 80% of your results come from 20% of your actions. So now we just need to concentrate on those 4-5 things (the 20%) that you need to be working on that will bring you your greatest results (80%). And by combining Parkinson’s Law with Pareto’s Law and really focusing on what we need to get done great results can be achieved! Best of success to everyone!

patrick May 12, 2010 at 8:42 am

This makes total sense. To many times we don’t set time tables and if we did we would accomplish so much more. Thanks for the info and i will implementing more into my business. Thanks Patrick

Lauren Thomas May 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

I love this advice and am going to practice it! I never heard of it before but I’m excited to try it.

Once again, great information.

Thanks, Katie!

Lauren
.-= Lauren Thomas´s last blog ..Fall In Love With Your Body Now: Part IV =-.

Scotty May 12, 2010 at 9:23 am

Aboslutely excellent content!! Keep it coming!!!
.-= Scotty´s last blog ..Heavyweight Sponsors at Starbucks! Are You Kidding Me? They build local COMMUNITIES. Hi-Tech AND Hi-TOUCH!! =-.

Gabe Joseph May 12, 2010 at 9:40 am

Getting focused and setting deadlines is so vital to accomplishing the important things and still have time for yourself. I have found you can get so bogged down in unimportant things if you don’t.

Timothy Ferriss in “The 4 Hour Work Week” expands on this concept as well. His suggestion is that we write down 3-5 of the top pressing items to accomplish that day, rank them in order of importance, assign insanely/impossibly short deadlines to accomplish them, and then get ready to be amazed as productivity shoots through the roof! I applied that in my life and can honestly say that production does increase and my free time has as well.

Thanks for all you do Katie. Have a great day!
.-= Gabe Joseph´s last blog ..A Tribute To Mothers on Mother’s Day =-.

Sharlene Stevens May 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

Wonderful tip Katie!

It’s so easy to get side tracked in this business, and not stay focused on what it is you supposed to be working on.

I like the idea of setting a time limit to stay on track with the task. We need to put blinders on until it’s completed :-)

Sharlene

Jackie Hall May 12, 2010 at 9:46 am

I definately needed that! I get distracted so easily. Thanks so much Katie!
.-= Jackie Hall´s last blog ..Be One of The First to Get Turbo Fire! =-.

Joe Emmet May 12, 2010 at 9:55 am

As always, excellent information. Frankly, had never heard of this law, so found some insightful info at Wiki. An interesting tidbit that speaks volumes to how we set goals (allot for the use of our time), and apply the Pareto Principal.

Think about this. . .

If a task can expand to fill the time allotted, then conversely, the effort given can be limited by limiting the allotted time.

The Stock-Sanford Corollary to Parkinson’s Law reads, “If you wait until the last minute, it only takes a minute to do.”

Now, I’m not advocating procrastination. However, we might consider designing our days in such a way that we dedicate less time to the major tasks that create the greatest results (Pareto Principal), allowing the Stock-Sanford Corollary to operate where it can effectively (without creating deadline or profit problems).

Now, life being what it is, we’ll need to allow for some “free” time (a savings account if you will) that enables us draw down some time for those projects that take longer than we’d originally estimated!

What do you think?

Joe

Nancy Collins May 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks Katie. This is sooooo true. The more time we set aside for something, the longer it will take. There’s something in our subconscious that says ‘I have plenty of time, so I can spare a few minutes for something else.’ The problem is that those few minutes often turn into minutes and hours!
.-= Nancy Collins´s last blog ..Is Knowledge Really Power? =-.

Jodi Rozental May 12, 2010 at 10:21 am

Hi Katie -
I’ve just started plugging in to your education and I am LOVING it! I have been really looking forward to waking up every day to a new video of your 7-part series. I am learning SO MUCH from you!! I feel like you’re a buddy of mine now and I really look forward to seeing you! LOL! And this video is just one more filled with great value. No, I have not heard of Parkinson’s Law but I can certainly use to implement it into my day. Thanks for ALL of your terrific teachings!

cristina May 12, 2010 at 10:24 am

Thanks Katie, a great reminder. I remember while writing my ph.D.dissertation,suddenly the floor needed to be vacummed or the windows needed washing just at the moment I sat down to write. Or I absoltely had to do the laundry just at that moment……What I realized was how much fear play a part in expanding time allowances and how that fear keeps up distracted from our main purpose………
great reminder,
thanks again,
Cristina

cristina May 12, 2010 at 10:24 am

Thanks Katie, a great reminder. I remember while writing my ph.D.dissertation,suddenly the floor needed to be vacummed or the windows needed washing just at the moment I sat down to write. Or I absoltely had to do the laundry just at that moment……What I realized was how much fear plays a part in expanding time allowances and how that fear keeps up distracted from our main purpose………
great reminder,
thanks again,
Cristina

Kellie Frazier May 12, 2010 at 10:36 am

No and Yes! No, I’ve not heard the quote before, but yes, “What you focus on expands” so if you’re focusing on needing more time you’ll likely take more time.

Here is a productivity tip I heard from Alex Mandossian: When working on a project with others in the room wear a productivity HAT so everyone knows you are not to be disturbed while it’s on your head.

One more….use the on-line stop watch service to help you regulate time. http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

I Love Sharing Great tips!

Thank you for sharing.

Kellie Frazier dot com

The Conscious Mamas May 12, 2010 at 11:45 am

Yes! Love that you’re talking about this! I used this law to get my Master’s degree- doing all of my homework during ‘naptime.’ I had 6 kids in my care at the time and having all of them asleep at the same time was a beautiful thing, but I never knew how much time I had so I maximized my time like I never before! The wildest thing was how cooperative my sleepers were! If my goal was to get one assignment done and I was completely focused on it all 6 would remain asleep. Inevitably, when I typed my last sentence I would hear someone waking up! For two years this went on every single day! I never did homework at night or any other time during the day. Just that 20 minutes to 1.5 hours each day and I was wildly productive during that time.
And ps- it also works for sleep! If you’re up too late just intend on getting 8 hours of REST and rejuvenation in the 5 hrs you have to sleep! It works wonders!!!
.-= The Conscious Mamas´s last blog ..Real Beauty =-.

Joy Sloan May 12, 2010 at 11:54 am

Katie, this was more than wonderful. Great idea. I have not heard of Parkinson’s law, however, I know that when I a particularly heavy to do list, I have found it effective to set time limits. From your video it is clear to me that setting time limits needs to be the method of operation for me from now on. Thanks for sharing this.
.-= Joy Sloan´s last blog ..Country Music Half Marathon =-.

Debbie McNeely May 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Great, Katie! How inspiring. I felt the weight of too much to do just lift. More can get accomplished in the same amount of time. It puts one in control, and it’s so much more fun than just grinding on and on. I hadn’t heard of Parkinson’s Law before. Very appropriate for the home entrepreneur.

I am glad I found you. Recently, I became part of your new Unified Tribe community. I’m getting so much out of your training. Personally, the way you go through things at a good pace and clearly explain everything works very well for me. I find I learn better if the delivery is not too slooooow. So, I enjoy your snap and pop pace. It helps me learn.

Debbie
.-= Debbie McNeely´s last blog ..SHORTCUT TO SUCCESS IN 3 EASY STEPS! =-.

Mary Webb May 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Sounds so simple but I can definitely see how it could be so impactful. Thanks for sharing Katie. I’m definitely going to give this a try.

Tim May 12, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Great stuff, heard about this originally from reading
Timothy Ferris’s book “The 4hr WorkWeek” he combined
Pareto’s and Parkinson’s law together to accomplish
quite a bit in short time. Great video remainder of
this important tip !

Tim
Your Northern Calif Fan !
.-= Tim´s last blog ..How three local ladies used the web to promote their new health book =-.

Val Wilcox May 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

This makes so much sense. It’s so true that what you focus on expands, so lets focus on completing tasks and moving on to what we enjoy.

Thanks for sharing these ideas with us,
Val :)
.-= Val Wilcox´s last blog ..Along The Path of Self Discovery… =-.

Joe-Anne May 18, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I have never heard of Parkinsons law before. Yes it is important to set time frames to get tasks done, because it is so easy to get side tracked. Thank you for this great inspirational reminder.

A simple yet powerful tip a business owner needs to keep in mind to be productive.

Carol Perdue May 19, 2010 at 12:37 am

Great video and the information was very much needed. I have never heard of that Law, however, it makes sense and I will be implementing it in my business. Sometimes, I spend way to much time on stuff that I should put off until the projects are done. I love facebook and it can really steal your time away if you let it. So from now on, I will write it down with a time frame. Thanks for all the wonderful tips and information you’re providing us! Keep up the great work!

Carol

Mrs Green @ my zero waste May 19, 2010 at 11:59 am

Perfect timing – I’m working on this exact thing. For the past 3 days I’ve been writing down exactly what I’ve been doing with my time and it’s pretty scary to see how much time I’ve been frittering!

One thing I decided to ditch was asking people to write guest posts. People are so well meaning and wanting to help / promote themselves, but then they often forget. I was spending a LOT of time chasing up, reminding myself in my diary, so I decided the outcome was not worth it.

You’ll not be surprised to hear that since I stopped chasing people have been coming to ME, with a guest post all ready to go online. Sometimes the Universe works in mysterious ways and when we let go of something it comes back to us ;)
.-= Mrs Green @ my zero waste´s last blog ..Our first harvest =-.

Rose Goddess May 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I find this to be so true in my own life. The things on my To Do List which I put a time limit on, I usually do first and quickly:)
.-= Rose Goddess´s last blog ..FREE FOOD!! How to Make a Wild Green Salad =-.

Lou May 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Thanks for this great bit of advice. I’d always called it “being under the barrel” and thought that you had to be under pressure but you’ve reminded us that you can set goals around time management and be more proactive with increaseing your productivity.
.-= Lou´s last blog ..How you can be a more responsible diver Part 1 =-.

Bill May 20, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Katie: I have never heard of this law. It is intriguing because I always seem to get more done when I have more work than fits the time vs. having plenty of time to complete project.

I have a question…how much time do you spend planning how much time you will alot for each item of work and do you make notes like a to do list.

I definitely will give this a try.

Thank you for the video.
.-= Bill´s last blog ..Grandmother’s Crafts =-.

Anthony May 21, 2010 at 12:36 am

First time I heard of Parkinson law. I will give it a try. Thank you for the info.

Anthony

Chuck Bluestein May 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Doesn’t Michael J Fox practice Parkinson’s law? No he has Parkinson’s disease. Actually the practice of touching it once gets rid of this. You touch it once and do it until it is done. Then there is no need to worry about time. Does time even really exist?

Eckhart Tolle says “”All that ever has been or will be is now, outside of time, which is a mental consruct.”
.-= Chuck Bluestein´s last blog ..Senator Arlen Specter =-.

Nat May 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Another awesome video (as usual). I had never heard of this before so really appreciate you sharing. From what I gather it is part of the “4 hour work week” which I have here to read… maybe I should get onto that one now :-)
cheers
Nat

Rhandell Mitchell May 25, 2010 at 8:24 am

I am very excited to try this technique. I’d never heard of Parkinson’s Law, however it sounds like a good idea. I really require to implement something like this into my article writing and my blog posts. Sometimes I have an idea for an article or a blog post but when I start to write time drifts on and on and at times it can take me upwards of 3 hours! So thanks again… I look forward to testing myself with this new strategy.
.-= Rhandell Mitchell´s last blog ..ZamZuu Marketing Leads – How To Find Leads For Your ZamZuu Business =-.

Steve May 27, 2010 at 10:46 am

Katie

That’s really cool. I have never heard of that before but it makes so much sense. I’m going to apply it right now and test it out.
I’m going to give myself 30 minutes to do up a blog post that I have been thinking of.
Here goes.
.-= Steve´s last blog ..Understanding The Keys To Starting An Online Business =-.

Kimberly May 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm

This was a great lesson. I definitely am going to use this more often.

Anne June 1, 2010 at 1:30 am

Thanks for this wonderful tip. I didn’t know the Parkinson’s Law, but I’m sure I will apply it from now on!!

You’re very inspiring Katie.
Have a fabulous day
Anne

Brian Pinski June 4, 2010 at 8:46 am

Thanks for this very insightful information Katie. Makes a ton of sense. Putting the time limit pressure on yourself will motivate you to get it done faster. I am sharing this with everyone I know. Thanks again. Have a good one!!!
.-= Brian Pinski´s last blog ..Youtube Search Story =-.

Bob Nussbaum June 4, 2010 at 9:06 am

Great post! So many times we hear about “time management” and all the other buzz for improved productivity. You have made so sweetly succinct!!

Thanks,

Bob
.-= Bob Nussbaum´s last blog ..Is Network Marketing an answer to Retirement Risks and Income needs? =-.

Nacie Carson June 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm

You are so right, Katie – projects take as long as you give them to get done! Great tip, and something every entrepreneur should be conscious of. May I just make one caveat to your point? It is better to take an extra few minutes to do it right and have a great product that finishing it on time with a junkie or mediocre product. I know it is a given, but just think it bears mentioning :)
.-= Nacie Carson´s last blog ..How to Create a Successful eBook =-.

Francisco June 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Very usefull information Katie and it remind me a technic to set effective goal, it goes something like this:

Every goal yo ste should be SMART:

S pecific.
M esurable
A ction based
R ealistic
T ime bond

Thank´s for all your help and we´ll stay in touch.
Have a great day.

Francisco

Jennifer May June 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Hi Katie! Okay, so how did you know I needed this today? :) I truly have so much to do and get done… this has helped me refocus and get much more done in a smaller amount of time. I am actually in the process of doing my to do list right now while I am listening to you (killing two birds with one stone as they say)… and now I will be able to get more done today then I thought! Thanks again for the great tips! Retweeting for you!
.-= Jennifer May´s last blog ..Gravatar Icons… Why And How To Add A Gravatar Icon To Help Your Blog Presence (Adding A Picture To Your Blog Comments) =-.

Gerald Gigerl June 19, 2010 at 12:53 pm

i was just recommended to your blog and started with this video. thats absolutely true. planing to get things done in a particular periode will increase your productivity.

have a great day.
.-= Gerald Gigerl´s last blog ..200,000,000 Posts… and Counting =-.

Antoinette Cabral June 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for another wonderful post! I am one of those people that get distracted and takes me a whole day just to get one thing done for my business sometimes.

I am excited to take this new information into my life!!

You rock woman!
.-= Antoinette Cabral´s last blog ..Time to Celebrate You! =-.

Keith | Earn Passive Income At Home June 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for the tip – never heard of Parkinson’s Law before. It really makes perfect sense, and would definitely explain my procrastination. Now where was I… oh yeah, twitter ; )

Lovin’ the great content on your blog!

Keith

Reinaldo July 4, 2010 at 6:30 am

Katie! this advise is the sexiest advice anyone has ever given me!!!

I never noticed before that I could certainly do my architectural projects in half the time. Most of the time I set a longer span to deliver as to have more free time. Now you made me realize that if I do it all around, that is, I deliver in shorter time, I’ll have not only the same -or more- of the free time I crave for, but with none of the stress of a pending project usually has.

I adore your tip. Thanks and I want to share it with anyone who cares to read it.

Keep on tipping!!! you really rock, girl!

Stacy July 5, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I have used that method in the past and then somehow I started to forget about it and I took a long time to complete some tasks. Thank you for the reminder.

Now, I will have no excuse for managing my personal and business tasks. Also, when I delegate a task to someone else, there will not be any issues with deadlines.

Sincerely,
Stacy Zahn
.-= Stacy ´s last blog ..Entrepreneur Mindset – Creating Content =-.

Michael Stead July 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Once again you just made my day :)

This is something I have started using
and it`s honestly amazing at how much
less time it takes for me to get things
done and it scared me a little bit
to realize how much time I was actually
wasting on things that really were not
all that important.

Thanks for sharing this and keep up
the great work ;)

See you at the top,
Michael Stead
.-= Michael Stead´s last blog ..How To Take Immediate Control Of Anything In Your Life – Taking 100 Responsibility For Your Life =-.