How To Craft A Compelling “About Me” Story

When you have new visitors come to your site, one of the very first things they will do is click on your “About Me” page… They’re gonna want to know more about you!  So it makes sense to have a super compelling story that builds rapport, trust, and credibility, right?

In the video below, I share with you some of the fundamentals to crafting an “About Me” story that connects with your readers, encourages them to keep following you, and compels them to take action!

So… Another thing I want to add here is feel free to get creative!  Your “About Me” page does not need to look just like mine… Give it your own style and flair! Be you!  Some of you may want to elaborate a bit more on your personal story or maybe link out to different posts that really represent your style and who you are as a leader… What I’ve shared today is pretty much a baseline that you can work off of.

And as always, I’d love to hear from you!  Give me a shout out down below and some FB or Twitter love!  Thanks so much!

icon wink How To Craft A Compelling About Me Story

To Your Ultimate Success,

AD7284B544DA527F4F71B7C89166F25F How To Craft A Compelling About Me Story

• more How To Craft A Compelling About Me Story

Patch October 1, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I made a few tweaks and I have to admit you were right – it does seem more complete and compelling now. Now let’s see if more people visit! ;-)
Patch´s last blog post ..Dealing with Disappointment in a Purpose Driven Life

Carolyn Johnson October 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for this valuable content. This is very timely information for me because I just published my “About Me” page. I will go back and review and make sure I have addressed the points you mentioned. Thanks a bunch.
Carolyn Johnson´s last blog post ..Five Lessons Learned From Training for a Marathon

Robin October 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Great information. I’m guilty of having too short a bio and only one photo so this is definitely going to change pronto!
Robin´s last blog post ..The Networking Mum

JayBritt101 October 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Hello my friend,

You are truly awesome!
Thank you for taking the time and breaking down
how to craft a compelling About Me.

Thanks for making it clear!

One Love!

yui October 2, 2010 at 1:50 am

HI Katie,

thank you for the training. so much value as always. funny enough i was actually having a hard time doing the about me section when i received your email on this training.

I’ve just gotten into the online business and havent got anything to show for so this is a bit difficult for me to share. I can go on and on about my triumph at this point haha.

but after listening to your trainig video, i have more ideas of what to write. So thank you for that!

Best wishes,

Yui

Dulcie Nielsen October 2, 2010 at 2:45 am

Many thanks Katie for such clear information. I’m working my way through your training and really looking forward to kicking off. I’m building up my Twitter list and starting on my Facebook list too.

CathyP October 2, 2010 at 3:22 am

great timing as I am just putting my about me page up :)
Cathy
CathyP´s last blog post ..Why Being Prepared Can Save Your Business – Whatever The Weather

Trish Mullen October 2, 2010 at 3:53 am

Katie, as always everything you say just makes perfect sense and I think “why didn’t I do that, because it is just so obvious?” – I don’t know how I ended up going from changing my ‘about me’ page to ‘creating a gravatar’ but I did, thanks to you. Maybe ’2 for the price of 1 today eh?

Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge with us.

Trish
Trish Mullen´s last blog post ..Video 29 – How to Insert a Date into Your Webpage

Jon Ochs October 2, 2010 at 6:55 am

Katie – excellent post!

I do see many people who have little to no info on their blog “about” page. It is so important to provide that information to really let people into our lives and make that connection.

Thanks for putting this together. I can now reference your video in my post on this topic.

Regards,
Jon :)
Jon Ochs´s last blog post ..MLM Lead System Pro Attraction Marketing System Review

Joe Shaw October 2, 2010 at 7:28 am

Great video Katie… This is an area that I need to work and and will do so. Thanks for the great model on how to create the about me story.

Joe Shaw

Guillaume October 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

I was not seeing this part so important but now i will improve it definitively!

Guillaume
Guillaume´s last blog post ..Do you have the good Mindset right NOW

Gulsina October 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Thank you, Katie, it is wonderful and inspiring as usual.
Gulsina :)

Sydney October 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Katie its always such a pleasure listening to you and the information you offer. thank you

Sander October 3, 2010 at 4:03 am

You made very nice video Katie. I actually was thinking how to improve my page „About Me„ You gave me very nice tips. Thanks for sharing it.
Sander´s last blog post ..How Badly Do You Really Want To Become Successful

Holli October 3, 2010 at 10:45 am

It was almost as though you were sitting on my shoulder this morning. I am getting ready to begin writing my About Me for my blog and the computer jumped to your email (swear)about How to Craft A Compelling About Me Story…. little scary, hmmm?
Talk about perfect timing. Great information and guidance that I will put to good use.
Holli

Jimmie Burroughs October 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Great article Katie and very helpful.

Jenn October 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This was really great information as I have been reinventing my site. I will use some of the ideas you talked about, like headings and more photos. I love reading your blog because it has good value. Thank you for sharing.
Jenn´s last blog post ..Networking and Social Media Basics

Clifton Hatfield October 3, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for the post Katie. I definitely received some great tips. The one thing I had to do was pause the video and add more photos to my About Me page. I had one but having more is an improvement. Thanks again for the tips.
Clifton Hatfield´s last blog post ..I Have Failed

Veronica October 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm

That was awesome! I didn’t realize how important an About Me can be, but it makes sense since that helps establish the rapport and connection with your prospects. Thanks for sharing that nugget!
Veronica´s last blog post ..Tips on Setting Up Appointments for Your Business

Elmar Sandyck October 4, 2010 at 12:34 am

It’s always great listening to your videos! You always have fantastic tips and this one is definitely one of them. Sharing from the heart really is key in creating great About Me pages.

I’m glad you pointed out the fact that we should tell people about what to get from your blog. Many of us miss that! Thanks!

Elmar
Elmar Sandyck´s last blog post ..4 Powerful Reasons To Sharpen Those Copywriting Skills

Susan Beesley October 4, 2010 at 3:45 am

Thanks for sharing how to create an “About Me – My Story” page. The video tutorial was so easy to listen to and understand the importance of doing it the right way. All too often people forget why they are doing what they do and the reason for the blog so thanks for such a great “story”.
Susan Beesley´s last blog post ..Let’s Meet Up At The World Internet Summit London UK 11th – 14th November 2010

Swapnil A. October 4, 2010 at 4:03 am

Thank you, this is what I understood:

-> Tell what you’re currently upto
-> How did the snow-ball start rolling for you.
-> Pain Factor
-> Gain Factor
-> And finally how other’s have gained from your assistance.

Short but qualitatove video Ms. Freiling.

elizabeth joy thomas October 4, 2010 at 4:15 am

Hiya Katie, I am so new to all of this, but I think you have the best content I have seen so far. I am still at embryo stage of my journey, thanks so much for sharing yours…

Dave Gurtler October 4, 2010 at 8:59 am

Thanks Katie!
I’m in the early stages of setting up my blog and it’s great to have access to such helpful information. Keep the great content coming!
Dave

Monica Beltran October 4, 2010 at 8:59 am

I was just reviewing my About Me page… what a great timing. Thank you!
Monica Beltran´s last blog post ..8 Steps to Achieve Financial Wealth

Amy Hagerup October 4, 2010 at 9:10 am

This is great, Katie. I will update my about me page soon and add more photos! I know it is important for that good connection. blessings, Amy
Amy Hagerup´s last blog post ..The Language of Your Hands

Pavlina P October 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I have been in communication and PR for more than 10 years and I have to say that you provide amazing value with your blog and videos – you are a true expert in what you do! :)
Pavlina P´s last blog post ..Social Media Ethics for Entrepreneurs

Laticia October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for insight. I realize I need to edit my “About Me” page.
Laticia´s last blog post ..A New Science In Network Marketing

Nathan Isaac Get Traffic 3.0 October 4, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Some great tips here Katie. Tanks for the great video. I’m a fan of writing in the 3rd person. I have had a lot of good comments on it. People seem to enjoy it more. I also do it for SEO reason too :)

Thanks again Katie :)
Nathan Isaac Get Traffic 3.0´s last blog post ..Get Traffic 30 Ultimate Bonus

Chuck October 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I was watching a video about how Google is not accepting ads for network marketing anymore. It was telling how Facebook is the 2nd biggest website and you can advertise on it. That is good but Facebook could also do the same thing that Google did. So maybe it is time to consider the way that it is being done. Some people apparently consider it unethical the way that it is being done.

Of course most network marketing companies sell products and Google has not stopped accepting ads for products.
Chuck´s last blog post ..Latest News- Breast Cancer Cured! Treatment and Prevention

Nicolas Laverde October 5, 2010 at 11:24 am

thanks for sharing your “about story me” strategy.

Nicolas Laverde October 5, 2010 at 11:26 am

thanks for sharing your “about story” strategy.
Nicolas Laverde´s last blog post ..El Fin De La Desilusión Capitalista

Dennis October 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Katie
Thanks for the advice, will have to look at what I have and improve on it.

Sigrid McNab October 5, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Katie for sharing your about me page tips. I am just in the process of setting up my first blog and this is so helpful!

Alex Martinez October 6, 2010 at 2:21 am

Another great post Katie.
You are really good and giving great stuff, I am off to change my about me page. Thanks again
Alex Martinez´s last blog post ..Live the Dream Review

Priority Team October 7, 2010 at 1:39 am

Hey Katie – Fantastic and concise training video. Our “About Me” page follows a similar outline, too. Story-telling is the most powerful way to communicate who we are and proven to keep people spellbound ;)
Priority Team´s last blog post ..Network Marketing training – You better believe that it’s ALL about the warm market…

Chuck October 7, 2010 at 1:51 am

Ever wonder why Facebook has a limit of 5,000 friends? A friend sent me this.

“Facebook.com places limits of 5000 friends, and 5000 persons as the maximum number of that a Facebook group that can be communicated to at once. These are upper-limits set by the U.S. Department of Defense to limit the right of assembly, to restrict social self-empowerment and social self-governance, as imposed through Facebook.com. These limits are part of the design and control functions for controlled asset social networks like Facebook.com developed by DARPA and the Information Awareness Office, through InQTel and Dr. Anita Jones.”

Taigh Smyth October 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Great post Katie!
Have you ever come across Frank Kern’s products..? He’s such a good teacher on how to ‘create your story’… but it definitely comes at a price! ;)
Great to share this info with the community!..

Cheers,

Taigh
Taigh Smyth´s last blog post ..Help Me- Help YOU … Quick Video Followed by a Quick Survey

Quaneshia Holden October 7, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I must admit Katie, that I have been slacking on my about me page. I know I check other peoples about me page so people are surely checking out my blank one. I will work on that asap.
Quaneshia Holden´s last blog post ..Facebook Crashed Twice- Do You Have a Plan B for Your Marketing

Katy Fletcher October 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Thanks much … very valuable as I’m just now working on the part of my blog!
Very helpful!!

Rodney M. Sykes October 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

Priceless information Katie !!!
Thank you so much for all you do and all you share with us.
You are a blessing.

Be well

Jonathan Sweeting October 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Katie You continue to bring the pain when it comes to sharing cool things that will build a better business. Am a video how to guy, so I can relate to what You said about pictures and visual.

Very nice,
~Jonathan Sweeting~
Jonathan Sweeting´s last blog post ..Give Me Free MLM Leads Online or Give Me Death

Bud Corwin October 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

Great video. It makes a lot of sense to tell people about ones self and about how they have evolved into what they want to become. I believe you have hit the nail on the head again.

Emma Starr October 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love “about” pages, I have always liked the “My Stuff”section in Vanity Fair Magazine. You can recreate this on your site.
Emma Starr´s last blog post ..MonitiumPassion And Purpose

Kareem Williams October 11, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love you blog Katie Freiling.It is awesome and you have some truly great content that everyone needs to read. You are a superstar and i need to come under your wing. Thanks a million for being a superstar Katie.
Kareem Williams´s last blog post ..What Is A Funded Proposal-”Internet Marketing Secrets”

Jocuri October 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

“I’d like to say that you always offer valid information and I have been an fascinated reader of your site for quite some time. I wanted to say thankyou really :) for all the good work you do!”

Kantrese Smith October 15, 2010 at 5:28 am

Hi Katie– Get Excited & Stay Excited!!

This is such an informative message here— it made me have to think about what I have been doing or am doing…. I’ll be looking over my “About Me” stories just to make sure I have followed your tips– I think I have much of what you said, but it doesn’t hurt to re-evaluate. Thanks for always providing us with valuable information.

Blessings,
Kantrese “Tresie”
“Inspire. Encourage. Empower.”
Kantrese Smith´s last blog post ..How to Get 400 Leads In One Day From Facebook Get Traffic 30 SECRET REVEALED &amp BONUSES

Pavlina P October 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Thank you so much for this Katie, it was really helpful and at good timing as I was doing my ‘about me’ page on my ‘New Lifestyle Movement’ Blog. I have been in PR and Communication for many years and I can say that you are a true expert!
Pavlina P´s last blog post ..‘The Optimist’s Creed’ – Daily Positive Attitude Enforcer

Julie Halsey October 18, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thank you, Katie! I’ve been struggling writing my “About Me” page and tend to go into the standard (boring) bio type of writing – so listening to your guidance here and on your Blog Mastery program is so helpful and encouraging! It’s ‘hard’ to unlearn some standard business practices about writing bios and this is a refreshing and fun approach!

Julie

KB Collins October 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I had to retweet this article. I think the about me page is so important when one wants to connect with their community. We spend so much time with graphics, widgets etc when an about me page could do wonders for your credibility and success.

Crystal October 20, 2010 at 9:52 am

It’s always good to have things summarized in clean and concise way.
And even better is to go through blogs of other people who left comments here and see how they wrote their “About” pages after watching your video ;-)
Crystal´s last blog post ..My Qipao Mission