How To Craft A Compelling “About Me” Story

When you have new visitors come to your site, one of the very first things they will do is click on your “About Me” page… They’re gonna want to know more about you!  So it makes sense to have a super compelling story that builds rapport, trust, and credibility, right?

In the video below, I share with you some of the fundamentals to crafting an “About Me” story that connects with your readers, encourages them to keep following you, and compels them to take action!

So… Another thing I want to add here is feel free to get creative!  Your “About Me” page does not need to look just like mine… Give it your own style and flair! Be you!  Some of you may want to elaborate a bit more on your personal story or maybe link out to different posts that really represent your style and who you are as a leader… What I’ve shared today is pretty much a baseline that you can work off of.

And as always, I’d love to hear from you!  Give me a shout out down below and some FB or Twitter love!  Thanks so much!

icon wink How To Craft A Compelling About Me Story

To Your Ultimate Success,

AD7284B544DA527F4F71B7C89166F25F How To Craft A Compelling About Me Story

• more How To Craft A Compelling About Me Story

Rhandell Mitchell September 30, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I really enjoyed this post. After watching your video I’m going to take the time to go back to my About Me page and do a little more construction. I know a little about marketing but I never really thought about the fact of how critical your about me page could actually be. Thanks again for the wisdom that you share in all of your posts!

Take Care,

Rhandell
Rhandell Mitchell´s last blog post ..How To Customize Your Facebook Link

Gabriel Johansson September 30, 2010 at 9:58 pm

This is an excellent tutorial, because I have learned that people enjoy stories, good and bad. Crafting a proper “About Me” story is more vital than people think and can sometimes be the deciding line if people want to work with you or not.

My personal story is very short and non-detailed at the time of writing this post, so I have some work to do!

Gabriel Johansson
Gabriel Johansson´s last blog post ..How To Use Email Marketing List Building In Network Marketing

Nick October 1, 2010 at 1:25 am

This has really opened my eyes to the importance of the “About Me” page. Unfortunately, mine definitely needs a lot of work doing to it as it seems boring!

Nick

Lori Robertson October 1, 2010 at 4:07 am

Great video, having a compelling about me story to share with people is so very important and I think that you explained it so very well in the video. Thanks for always giving such great value with your content.

Lori
Lori Robertson´s last blog post ..Have You Considered Using A Social Media Manager

Sonny Lanorias October 1, 2010 at 4:50 am

Thanks for sharing this post. Nice tips and its a must. As always you have again shown your leadership here. Thanks again.
Sonny Lanorias´s last blog post ..The Secret is Out – Subscribers Magnet Plugin Exposed

Josephine Payge October 1, 2010 at 4:53 am

Thank you Katie. I shall be re-writing my story today!
Josephine Payge´s last blog post ..Why Do I feel Like I Do Today

Become A Physician Assistant October 1, 2010 at 5:03 am

This is a very timely post. My homework for this weekend was to complete my “about me” page. I now have a track to run on.

As always, thanks for what you do.

Dave
Become A Physician Assistant´s last blog post ..Physician Assistant Student Interview–Part 2

Pat October 1, 2010 at 5:17 am

Wow, Katie this is great, I am always afraid of oversharing on my about page but you show that being yourself is the best way to go.
Pat´s last blog post ..When a time out is good for business

Angela October 1, 2010 at 5:18 am

Hey Katie! Thanks so much for this advice. This is a part of my blog that I have struggled with. I love the idea of adding photos and being transparent. I am excited to put these tips to use in my “about me” page.
Angela´s last blog post ..How to Install a Custom Facebook Landing Page

Terje October 1, 2010 at 5:20 am

Great post. Useful content. And a nice About-page. I will definitely take some of your key points into consideration when changing my own About-page this weekend.

In a blog post yesterday I also Five rules for an awesome About page.
Terje´s last blog post ..Five rules for your About page

Michelle October 1, 2010 at 5:39 am

Hi Katie Thanks for such an informative video. I will be sharing with my leaders.

Have a great day!

Michelle

Jerome Ratliff October 1, 2010 at 5:41 am

What a great way to create your own “about me” story. When I had created mine I thought about the trials and tribulations I experienced. I allowed those experiences and my passion to see others breakthrough to come through in my words. It made it so easy for me to create my own story. It may not relate to everyone, but it is MY unique story. That was the biggest part for me because it allowed others to experience firsthand who I was and that in reality I am no different than anyone else.

Thanks for sharing this with us and allowing me to get personal with you. ;)

Jerome Ratliff
Jerome Ratliff´s last blog post ..Strikeout on Qualifying- Why Network Marketers Fail

Elmar Sandyck October 1, 2010 at 5:41 am

I enjoyed your post!

Thanks for this great advice, cause indeed, the about page is crucial on a website.

Great stuff, as always!

Elmar
Elmar Sandyck´s last blog post ..4 Powerful Reasons To Sharpen Those Copywriting Skills

Lauren Snyder October 1, 2010 at 6:11 am

It’s SO funny that you published this post yesterday. I’m actually re-doing my blog at the moment and moving up from my “first version” and just wrote a new about me page! I haven’t uploaded it yet because I’m still editing and what not but…perfect timing! :)

Lauren
Lauren Snyder´s last blog post ..Benefits of Massage Therapy

Markus Klinger October 1, 2010 at 6:12 am

I love you Katie!
You are so awesome!
Hope to talk to you soon!
God bless you Katie!

Sincerely,
Your Fan & Friend,
Markus Klinger

In London ~ Ontario ~ Canada

KerryBeare October 1, 2010 at 6:46 am

Thanks this was really timely as I was just speaking to someone about this recently. It reminds me too that I probably need to revamp or update mine as I think I can improve upon it a bit more now… may be more transparent and inspiring as you suggested – be me!

As alway you offer great tips and value. Really appreciate it.

Cheers from Down Under,
Kerry Beare
KerryBeare´s last blog post ..How to Connect with your Target Market in Social Media

Ryan Biddulph October 1, 2010 at 7:00 am

Thanks for sharing the super tips here. I’ve made a few edits to my About Me page after watching the video.

Opening up is a prerequisite of attraction marketing. By sharing your story like-minded people find you with greater ease.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

Ryan
Ryan Biddulph´s last blog post ..A Hearty Thank You and Big Changes at RBs Keys

Jackie Ulmer October 1, 2010 at 7:17 am

Thanks Katie and YES, the About Me page needs to be fully utilized. Because people don’t know us, we have to give them as much as possible so they can get the essence of who we are and why they might want to establish a relationship and perhaps a business partnership with us.

And, it’s important to make it in your own words and not copy someone else’s story. I am amazed at how often I see my own story on someone’s site and only the names are changed, mostly. Argh, it’s not authentic. Take the time to be YOU!

EXPECT Success!

Jackie Ulmer
Jackie Ulmer´s last blog post ..Combining Warm Market AND Online Lead Generation For Network Marketers

Chantelle James October 1, 2010 at 7:57 am

This is great information Katie.

I remember that I did notice how well your ‘about me’ was written – very compelling. Everyone loves a testimony/success story.

I put up a video for one of my colleagues that works with me in the ‘about me/meet the team’ section of my website and I think I might do the same for myself.

Thanks again!

joshua October 1, 2010 at 8:01 am

you are a wonderful mentor….. thank you

Lani Kee October 1, 2010 at 8:10 am

Aloha Katie, helpful insight not just for the about page but the overall. Thanks for sharing! Lanikee.com

PS..always enjoy a good input, for what’s working for you. Mahalo :)
Lani Kee´s last blog post ..Bill Clinton Voices His Views On Direct Sales

Roz Pearcy October 1, 2010 at 8:10 am

I grabbed a few great tips from your tutorial! I had a lot of what you said in my “About Me” page but I need to make a few great improvements per your suggestions. Thanks for the helpful tutorial!
Roz Pearcy´s last blog post ..Is Your Blog Mobile Phone Ready A Video Review of WPtouch Pro 20 Plugin for WordPress Blogs

Freddy Rodriguez October 1, 2010 at 8:20 am

Thanks for this great tip Katie. After watching the video, I’ve realized that I really need to go back to my own About Me page and spend more time on it to really let my visitors know who I am.
Freddy Rodriguez´s last blog post ..Popup Domination WordPress Plugin – Is it Worth It

Ryan Yokome October 1, 2010 at 8:36 am

Great Katie. This is by far one of the most important pages on the site if you’re branding yourself. Thanks for sharing out those ideas. :)
Ryan Yokome´s last blog post ..“Get Traffic 30″ – Jonathan Budd Has A New Facebook PPC Course…

Lorna Landis October 1, 2010 at 9:18 am

Thank You SO much Katie! I was very impressed the first time I ever saw you, but then got distracted with other things. Just last night I made a REAL decision to start blogging, even purchased my hosting. Then one of the first emails I read this morning shared your video! There are no coincidences! Thanks, I know that I will now do a much better job, and am saving your video, so I can watch it several more times, as I started getting ideas as I listened!

Thanks for being who you are!
Lorna

Joy October 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

Okay! Just what I needed. I am going to tweak my about me page and see how I can make it more compelling. You nailed the importance of the about me page. Thank you for the wise advice.
Joy´s last blog post ..Shattering The New Glass Ceiling

Melody Granger October 1, 2010 at 9:23 am

As you were explaining how to craft a compelling about me story, it occurred to me that although I have some of the elements you describe, I believe that my story has changed and that I don’t have to use the original one (or as much of it), but to update it because over the years my own personal development/growth & experience has changed. And that is the story that resonates with my new vision.

Basically, my current story is not current enough…because I have more to tell. (Hope that made sense!)

Enjoyed the video! Thanks!!!

Therra October 1, 2010 at 9:24 am

After watching this video, I realized I’m pretty much on track :) I poured my heart out on my about me page and I’m glad to hear you confirm the importance of that :) Yaaaaaay!!!Gr8b post Katie :)
Therra´s last blog post ..The Meaning of “IT” all… does it matter!

John McBean October 1, 2010 at 9:33 am

Having spent the better part of four decades building and operating “brick and mortar” businesses, I thought I knew how to sell myself, regardless of the industry I am involved in. Not any more.
My recent entry into the online business has had its challenges, different than any I have experienced before, but at least now I know better how to present myself effectively to the internet community.

Cheers.
John McBean´s last blog post ..Top 3 Affiliate Marketing Success Tips

Wendy Hewlett October 1, 2010 at 9:48 am

Thanks for your insights on how to create a great About Me page. It is also a great idea to go back over your About Me Story every now and then to see if you can update or improve it. This post has inspired me to give my story a bit of a tune up thanks to your great tips.

Wendy
Wendy Hewlett´s last blog post ..Self-Discovery Through Social Media

Joanie Dhillon October 1, 2010 at 9:58 am

Thanks for this post. I like the idea of showing as much emotion as possible like through a low point in your life. I think we often try to build ourselves up so much that we forget to be human and give people something they can relate to. Very important!
Joanie Dhillon´s last blog post ..21 Days to Manifesting Abundance by Reshaping Your Self Image

Jennifer May October 1, 2010 at 11:07 am

Hey Katie! Awesome tutorial! I actually have a pretty detailed About Me similar to what you suggest but got some great, additional tips to add. I am going to definitely add a video and a few pictures! :) Thank you for the great insider overview of how to create a successful “About Me” Page. HUGS! :)
Jennifer May´s last blog post ..7 Essential Ingredients To Achieving TRUE Network Marketing And Online Marketing Success

Val Wilcox October 1, 2010 at 11:15 am

Great info full of tips that will help with creating the best About Me page. I’ve learned a few ideas to change up on my site. Appreciate it!
Val ;)
Val Wilcox´s last blog post ..Stepping Into Your Life

Chuck October 1, 2010 at 11:22 am

I went for a long time without a bio and someone asked me about it. I put one up but it is missing most of what you talked about. It is more like the bio that you would find in a book but it is for my website. I have a blog on blogspot but it does not have much of a bio either. I guess I should address that bio.

This month, October, is breast cancer awareness month. Maybe this will be the last one ever if almost all the breast cancer in North America is gone by this month next year. The information is there, it just needs to be followed.
Chuck´s last blog post ..Latest News- Breast Cancer Cured! Treatment and Prevention

Will Mayo October 1, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hey Katie it’s Will here!

Great video, full of value as usual. You come across as very genuine and open in your about me story, it’s refreshing.

What struck me most about you when I first discovered your blog and watched your videos, is your confidence in front of the camera. I have this irrational fear of getting in front of a webcam or microphone to record myself and expose who I am to the world. I know it’s just silly insecurities that my voice sounds weird when I listen to myself talk or that people will think I look goofy lol… I’m sure you can relate!

Would you mind giving us some tips on how to be more confident in front of the camera? No doubt it’s holding back my success and i’m sure many other people have the same insecurities about video marketing too. I’d love to be able to teach people what I know without the shy part holding me back.

Thanks for your help :)

Take care,
Will

Katie Freiling October 8, 2010 at 8:51 am

Hi Will… Here are a few tips for you: 1. Take some deep belly breaths beforehand and get into the present moment… 2. Create an outline beforehand so you have an idea about what you’re going to talk about… 3. Speak as though you are just talking to one person, your best friend or neighbor… 4. Take your time while you’re speaking and make sure you take moments to pause anytime you feel your mind racing… 5. Practice practice practice!! The more you do it, like anything else in life, the more comfortable you get! :) Hope this helps!

Joe Shaw October 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

Katie – Awesome! Thanks for another amazing post!

Joe Shaw

Cindy Schulson October 1, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Great video Katie! I love your message about telling your true story and sharing your vision. There has to be a genuine connection with your target market and the “about me” page is an important way to help create that connection.
thanks and warm wishes,
Cindy
Cindy Schulson´s last blog post ..Coaching Niche – Free Training Video

Scott Thrall October 1, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Nice… I really don’t have much more to add to that. Very helpful. The biggest take-a-way is targeted traffic will continue to come back and probably optin to your list.

Scott Thrall´s last blog post ..Can Your Color Scheme Affect How Readers Perceive Your Reviews

Ken Pickard October 1, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I totally agree… your about me page is the most important page on your blog. Since your blog mastery course last year I have shared your 10 step to an about me page to almost everyone I’ve com in contact with.

This one page literally sets the tone, trust, personal connection to anyone who see’s it. And there’s so much you can do to “pimp” out this page. From pictures to video to hidden pages that reveal extra things about yourself.

Thank you for always leading the way with value and setting the bar right where it needs to be… nice and high!

Ken Pickard
The Network Dad
Ken Pickard´s last blog post ..Goal Setting vs Goal Winning

J Gib October 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm

As Usual-something timely and vitally important!
Thanks Again,
James G!
J Gib´s last blog post ..Arizona States Rx To Prevent Heart Disease!

Stacy October 1, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Thank you for sharing this video! It is full of great information and I’ve got a few ideas on how I want to improve my About Me page.

Thank you!
Stacy´s last blog post ..12 Business Success Tips From Todd Falcone

pimsiri October 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I like it , it so simple but powerful.
Thanks Again,
Pimsiri Sudthivivat
pimsiri´s last blog post ..วิธีการทำธุรกิจเครือข่าย สปอนเซอร์แบบไม่มีผิดหวัง

Scott R. Wells October 1, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Katie…just getting the blog created, but these videos make the process a little less daunting.

Scott

Lisa Kneller October 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Great post! I kind of like my About Me page, but could add some pictures or a video. I think that would be a great addition. Thanks for the great tip.

Lisa
Lisa Kneller´s last blog post ..Love and Network Marketing

damayanthi October 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Great tips here, especially to have a call to action & have another optin box for people to optin if they want to receive the news letter.

Thanks for sharing.
damayanthi´s last blog post ..90 Day Business Plans – You Got To Be Flexible Sometimes

Sukie Baxter October 1, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Great post! I reworked my “About” page and feel like it’s far more in alignment with my story and my vision for my business.
Sukie Baxter´s last blog post ..Are you living in neutral

Dan October 1, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Thank you so much. I couldn’t agree more… Stories are the way we’ve shared information since the dawn of mankind. It is the story that compels, it is the story that empowers, it is the story that breaths life into the face on the screen that sometimes feels so disconnected from us.

I rewrote my About me story. I hope you enjoy it!

Have a great day!

DanB
Dan´s last blog post ..3 Simple Things That Keep You From Success – Part 2

Ramon Polo October 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Yeah.. I like this video and your lessons in it ;)

I sent an application for you coaching.. So don’t you forget my comments and Tweets and Shares!! haha

Ramon Polo October 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm

By the way… I liked the part of the headlines.

I makes easier to read to the readers ;)

Julia Rohrmoser October 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Thank you Katie…great info.